Friday, August 28, 2015

The Play List at My Father's Funeral

These songs were selected from artists my dad liked.  It more or less fell on me to select the songs and put thought into the order.

1.)  Where Do the Children Play?  Cat Stevens




I picked this one because my father loved children, but also because, like my grandfather before him, he lived a humble life that I think is far closer to the solution than anything the Apple Geniuses are going to come up with.  I think the song itself sets up ambition and the addiction to progress (at any cost) as what destroys the places the children will play.

I really didn't know much about Cat Stevens until I started researching the song list.  My mom mentioned that my dad loved his stuff, and now I see why.

2.) Old Man,  Neil Young.





I actually own the CD this one is from -- Harvest.  I immediately thought of this as my Neil Young song.  I was thinking about the threads connecting my dad to my grandpa, and how tough the late 60's and 70's really must have been.  Also, of course, there are the threads between my father and I.

"Old man take a look at my life.  I'm a lot like you were."

3.) Another Day in Paradise.




My parents once said that Phil Collins was the one musician they both really liked.  That was certainly fine with me.  As to the particular song I selected, that was more up in the air.  Since I knew I couldn't get away with Sussido, I went with "Another Day in Paradise."

In a way these don't seem to be the songs of a Reagan Republican (who at one time was very active in Republican politics), but it is a beautiful and mellow song.


4.) Father and Son.




Upon hearing this for the first time, I knew this was the grand finale.  It sounds great and  it's just genius in that it gets both sides this father/son divide just right.  The father's advice to the son is so good (and how my dad lived his life), but the way the way the dad in the song tried to force his son to listen and refused to understand him drove the child away (thankfully, not how my dad acted).  I think seeing both perspectives at the same time is the key to getting all you can out of the song.

Now playing it as the final song at a funeral also did amazing things to the part where the son is saying he has to go away.  The last words of the song (and functionally of my dad's funeral) are a sad, torn "I have to go"

 . . .  This song is always going to have a special place in my heart.