Friday, April 29, 2016

April was the Month of Memory

As debate winds down, I have been catching up on life.  First dishes -- yeah, always dishes, then the lawn and garden, and now as I hack away at school work, I am also working again on language learning.  I am working on Spanish and Esperanto.

I am trying to learn from my experiences and pace myself with Anki to avoid burnout.  So I have set a limit a maximum of ten new cards per language, per day.  If I can't get around to do enough reading to find words or sentences to meet that limit, that is no problem.  My bigger worry is feeling so overloaded that I start to push back from what can and should be play time.

With Esperanto, I want to be able to read and write in it.  With Spanish, I want to be essentially bilingual.  I plan on working on my Spanish in all phases -- reading, listening, speaking, and even writing for the long haul.  With that said, I can afford to pace myself.  The good news i s that the materials I need are all around me, and the people I would need to converse with are around if I can just get a little more over my shyness.   

But for now a bookworm I remain.  I will read, read, read in Spanish, listen and watch some, and look up a few words.

If I had to guess, I would say that I will be able to "read smoothly" in Esperanto by the end of the summer, and will have finished my million word challenge in Spanish, and thus be able to count that as well.

I also starting working on a project which I think will improve my interior life immeasurably: memorizing poetry.  My eventual goal is to have a poem memorized for every day of the year, like a love poem for Valentines, a lot nature poem in March, that sort of thing. I plan on working on this slowly as well, shooting for a a few lines a day.  I'll go from there to learn 12 poems, one for every month, and then fill that in to 52, so I can have a poem for every week. . . And then, one day, after low-grade effort over a tremendous amount of days, I will know 366, so that I can have a poem for each day, even on a leap-year.

I have two poems that I have worked on in the past and am going to start back with:
If by Rudyard Kipling and
Me Imperturbe by Walt Whitman.