Monday, May 2, 2016

Push Up Strategy

I am going to make an earnest run at the push up goal.  I will do it in two steps.

Step One.  For the rest of the school year I am on the following protocol:

On Saturday, I work out with an Escalating Density routine.  The sets I am alternating are push-ups and kettle bell swings.  Starting right after the workout, I immediately start drastic overfeeding to get some hypertrophy.  A real winner is ice cream mixed with a scoop of whey protein.  For the entire day I go into a binge mode and eat something between 4,000 and 6,000 calories.

Sunday, I stack this up with seeing my grandmother for lunch and eating dinner at my mother's.  I eat more like 3,000 calories on Sunday.

Monday through Friday, I don't eat breakfast and for lunch I have two spoons of extra light tasting olive oil.  This being the Shangri-La Diet.  Around 3:30 I try to eat something very high in fiber and then I try to basically "be reasonable" with dinner -- leading to somewhere between 1,200 and 1,600 calories consumed on those days. 

The strategy here is build up some muscular infrastructure for more push ups.

Step Two: During the summer, I will be greasing the groove for push ups.  Most days, I'll stay in with the heat and organize my days into hours, doing some push ups each hour.  On the days that I need to rest from push ups, I could walk to the Bizzell library at OU in the morning and hang out there.

Also, I have a lot of weight to lose (*sigh, again*) and so I will be doing the Shangri-La lunch of two spoons of extra-light tasting olive oil every day and eat a nutrient-dense, yet restricted-calorie diet.  (I may take Sunday lightly "off" because I of the family visits, but I'm not looking to hit those really high calorie marks that I was looking for in step one.)

If I don't reach the goal of a set of 100 push ups by the end of summer, I will probably need to take a break from push ups, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.  But I think I have a good chance of getting to 100 push ups this summer.