Monday, September 15, 2014

Beginning Toward Squat Goal: Grease the Groove

I'm hungry to achieve my goals.  So the next one I am going to tackle is the 200 squat challenge.  I'm a long way away, but that's okay -- because now I've started.

My technique is "greasing the groove" which is about getting a lot of "practice" in an exercise instead of training to failure (or near failure) to try to get the muscle to grow.  Instead of working out hard and then needing to take several days off to heal,  I can do the exercise a lot, well below fatigue, and do this day after day, maybe even 5 days in a row, and take the weekend off.  And that's great, because it fits into my schedule and requires no equipment.

Here's an explanation of why greasing the groove works:



.
This is just a completely different way of looking at working out.  In fact, it's not working out; it's practice.  You practice the skill of strength.  Today, I did 6 sets of 5. A very light beginning, sure, but I am already slightly sore, so I will take a day off before tackling more greasing the groove.