Monday, September 22, 2014

Free Hobby: Backgammon

After my incredibly epic Royal Flush challenge, and the subsequent break from poker, the game has lost a bit of its luster. Enter backgammon back into my life, particularly the amazing, awe-inspiring, free-ware GNUBackgammon.

If nothing else, playing a lot of backgammon helps me to achieve my life goals because it costs nothing. I'm all about improved quality of life for free. But more than that, GNU backgammon is like a having a world-class player teaching you the ins and outs of a game that seems simple on the surface but hides a vast complexity. Also, it's a very clear teaching device. One of the truly most enjoyable experiences in my life was getting back into programming using python's GUI – IDLE. I was able to make lots of quick, safe mistakes and they were all clearly, logically pointed out. It was an ideal learning environment (yes, IDLE was ideal).  I'm in this experience because I love to learn, and be able to see my progress in clear-cut systems.  (This is why I now know I can enjoy free times, and will even one day enjoy retirement -- though I may always call it self-employment).

Furthermore, GNU backgammon is a classy opponent who plays quickly and never complains either about my stupidity or my good luck. In poker, on the other hand, I am often bored after folding a huge portion of my hands and left waiting for people to play.   Also I deal with some ill-will and "verbal" abuse (typed abuse?) from time to time.