Monday, January 5, 2015

How Do You Help 100,000 People?

The short answer: 1.) make something that can help people 2.) have that helpful thing go viral.

The last few years, particularly in my summers, I think I have been incubating some helpful things.  I have gone to the proverbial wilderness, and gathered my thoughts.  I have done my research, and I have been my reaching out.  This is the year I try to go viral.

I'm a big believer in the 5-year, 10-year, and even 15-year "over-night" success story.  But I also know that you never know when luck will strike you, so you should put yourself in a position for it to happen.

The first order of business is to keep putting stuff "out there" like this blog and tutorial videos.  After that, though, some of my goals will include studying what makes something go viral.  That probably sounds stupidly basic, but I think that is actually a lesson of this blog: to accomplish goals, even freakishly huge ones, you can't be afraid of looking (or feeling) stupid in going over the basic fundamentals.

And this is probably going to be the most important part of this year: you cannot be afraid to ask for help.

It's not my nature to ask for help.  Instead, I retreat into my own thoughts and do research.  But if I'm going to help 100,000 people, I am going to need the help of other people to get there.