Monday, January 26, 2015

Procrastination Chronicles # 9: Dishes, Always Dishes

On the path to greatness, there will be 100 overcomings.

I will chronicle my attempts to overcome procrastination.  My technique is to start small, really small.

My favorite post in the series is #3 Dealing with a Bunch of Crap.

==================

When I got married, I was so happy to get rid of the task of doing laundry that I conceded lawn work, the litter box, and doing dishes.  However, due to this, dishes have become the scourge of my existence.

I had purchased a dish rack, and ideally I would use it every day for the dishes made that day (or perhaps the previous day).  I had a rhythm like that going for a while.  I would come home, put on Pandora, and do a few dishes, let them air dry and put them up . . . neat and tidy.  Great theory.

But sometimes life gets away from me.  When this happens, the dishes pile up more and more, and I am still susceptible to same feelings as pretty much everyone else.

The answer is still the same: find a small enough slice that I engineer my own compliance, and then go ahead and start Pandora.  This is just simply how I get crap done.

This time my tiny slice was soaking two dishes.  Also, I *gasp* let myself use the dish washing machine to get the big batch done.

My wife doesn't believe me when I say I will be able to do all our dishes by hand when our dish washer breaks (as all dish washers everywhere, along with all other machines, will eventually).  Only time will tell, but I am optimistic in my ability to change.

But for this time, I will go ahead and use the luxury of the machine to move past procrastination.