Saturday, March 21, 2015

Your Work Can Become Your Mediation

This answers my musing that you can become your own machine.

Yesterday I put in a lot of work re-digging in a stone border for my two annual vegetable beds.  I can't say every second of it was tranquil work, but a good deal of it was.  The most important thing, I think, is breathing.  If you can stay oxygenated, you are far less of a fool.    If you can still your mind a bit, your mind opens to your surroundings.  After all, I was working on a great day with bird song around me.  I was working in a beautiful garden that I was only trying to make beautiful (okay, trying to make one of the ugly spots significantly less ugly)

To get the deep breathing, and a stillness of mind, I found it helpful to be more deliberate in my motions and focus on a flowing shifting of weight, like in Tai Chi.   And this is how, from time to time, I mediated in action.

I understand this thought is not original.  We know all about zen in the art of ____,  but sometimes everyone needs reminding from time to time.  This is my reminder.