Monday, July 1, 2013

Why Goal-Nerd, Why?

The only reason this blog exists is because I had a goal to write a blog post every week starting on July 1st, and every day for the last week I have been more focused on my writing than the coding of a new website.

Oh well, a goal completed is a goal completed.  It kind of reminds me of those stories where a genie is found, but the genie interprets the wishes however he sees fit.  I have no problem being that crafty genie about my goals.  Either, I should accept my own creativity, or I should write down far more specific goals, but with tinier, more specific steps.  (By the way, managers of the world, that is the same restraints you should put on yourself: either accept the decisions that come from delegation or be hyper-specific, step-by-step on every time bit of the process.  Hmm . . . that gives me an idea for a post on what will become my main blog  . . . This is how I prevent myself from getting around to creating the new blog).

Trust.


By getting things done, I learn to trust myself, which gives me the mental lee-way to accept when I pull fast ones like this blog.  Which allows me to get more things done.  See how this is a virtuous cycle?

I am continue on with my goal of "after July 1st," posting at least every week, with the eventual goal of posting twice a week.  When next week comes around, I might be posting here again, or I might have a brand new blog. 

To get that new blog, the genie of my future actions must be tamed.  Time for a new goal: making a new blog.  I should divide that into several sub-goals, and work on those sub-goal each day, perhaps finding out that I need even more sub-goals.  Here's the sketch, though:

0.) draw how you want to website to look (did it a week ago!)
1.) watch basic tutorial on how to code a blog from php academy (I'm really rusty)
2.) code most basic blog possible using old domain name
3.) test post using with things like quote marks, etc (see if I can break it).
4.) If it breaks, fix it.
5.) get blog to have all the features I want
6.) test appearance of website to get all features
7.) Get a new domain name (ha!  haven't even done that!)
8.) Massive headache of porting pictures, etc.
9.) put in first three posts
10.) link to new blog and start promoting it

I will start on the step 1 tomorrow, and I will only put a deadline on each individual step.  That way I can monitor progression through the steps and see what adjustments need to be made.  This is just a better way to do it.  Writing out these steps took more and thought than just jotting down the general wish of what I wanted to see and appending an arbitrary deadline for "motivation."  It didn't motivate me, and I found an easy way out.  And this is me managing myself.

I think I might as well be a good manager to myself.