Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Current Diet

One day I forgot to bring my lunch to school, so I just took 2 spoons of oil, instead of 1.

The result?  I still didn't feel hungry until around 3:30 or so.  I have experimented with this super-micro lunch for a week since, and I am here to say it works just fine.  

I don't eat breakfast.  The only lunch I have is 2 spoonfuls of extra-light olive oil (200 calories) and then I eat a 3:30 snack and a dinner, both adding up to no more than 1,000 calories.  So, 1,200 calories a day, 5 days a week, and then have my free-day on Sunday after lifting, and a slightly elevated calorie day on Monday.

My favorite part of this diet may very well be its convenience.  There are fewer dishes, and less clean-up.  Also, lunch less than 30 seconds and I can then use the rest of lunch to rest, read, reflect, or do work (but only in a pinch).

Another important benefit is that my energy levels feel more consistent throughout the day.  They are lower than my normal, but that is pretty much a good thing for me.  Let me explain:  a few weeks ago, when I had my debate tournament and was eating carbs like a crazy binge monster, and I really spun out of control.  It was like when I was a kid, with what almost certainly an un-diagnosed case of hyper-activity.   Not a good way to be a leader.   And I truly regret not being able to exude a calm, confidence.

In a similar vein, I have discovered that when I drink coffee when I am in this fasting phase, I also am liable to go bezerk.  This is either if I have an exciting idea or something to rant about.   Either way, I want control over my impulses.  So . .. I've quit coffee.  I drink one cup of tea at lunch.  Once I use my tea bags, I might just quit that as well.

I plan on propagating more mint in my garden, so that in a year or so I can produce my own year-round supply of mint tea from my own garden (and there is always pine needles to forage for pine tea).