Sunday, December 21, 2014

Defending 9X9 Go

I have read that 9X9 Go teaches a new comer bad habits, and should be avoided because it you will have unlearn so much.

I counter that with the following: 9X9 Go is really fun. The games don't take too long, and it easier to hold in my mind the flow of the game, thus even at my level of having 30 games in, I can now look back and usually figure out what move I make the big mistake that cost me winning at my handicap.

I see 9X9 Go more as more like playing scales on a piano.  I have deepened an understanding of "life and death" problems and other aspects of shape. I know that if I play hundreds of games my ability to read would only improve.

For now, Go is one of my favorite free hobbies.  If I still like it after the house is paid off, I might spend money on a library of good Go books.  It is from that reading that I would expect to learn the right habits and really develop the craft.

I have to convince myself over and over again that I am not trying to progress in Go at maximum speed.  With that in mind, why should I care if 9X9 is teaching me bad habits, if I it is the most fun way to play for right now? 

And so I'll play on a 9X9 board as long as it is fun.