Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Some Free Go Literature

The American Go Association has a nice page for people learning the game.  I am going to start with River Mountain Go: Volume 1 and at the same time look at problems in Improve Fast in Go as more of a stretch read, so I gather from looking at it.  

Process those both, though, and play a lot, and it looks like I should be a 20 kyu (if that label has any robust meaning).

I'm not sure I can keep ego and notions of progress out of my conception of the game of Go, and mythology around the game notwithstanding, I'm not sure many others have succeeded either.  But I like the game.  I think its beauty stems from its elegance, and I think it is a lovely martial art of the mind.

Also, my thinking on ego has turned away from the thought of its elimination to thinking about its balance with the outside world.