Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Daoist Elephant in the Room

For several months, a good deal of my freely chosen reading keeps back to the concept of the Dao.

If my goal was to achieve all of my goals as quickly as possible, through a series of super-amazing anyone-can-do-but-I'm-so-special-so-you-should-give-me-money-life-hacks, then Daoism would be a huge distraction.  But I call this blog "the good life: becoming a goal nerd."  Not only would I emphasize that I am seeking the good the life, but I would also point out that is says becoming a goal nerd, not that I am, and not certainly not "hear the proclamations of the the one, the only goal nerd."

I kept seeing the Dao come up in everything I was reading, from Daniel Suelo and talk of spirituality and moneylessness, the book Trying not to Try, which I  borrowed from the library because it was on display, and most recently, a remarkable book I have recently read called the Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin.

Daoism ties together several threads that have been going on in my mind since before my students were born, a phrase I have taken to use with my students -- when try -- both for the dramatic effect it causes for them, but also to remind myself of the chasm between myself and them.  I plan on doing much reflective writing on all of these threads, but they include gardening and my love for uncontrolled "margins" of a garden, the need for alone time to clear my head, breathing and meditation, the balancing of goals that seem to have contradictory aspects, a calm state of mind and peak human performance.

If you want a basic primer of Daoist thought, sure Wikipedia works, but I found a decent page dedicated to Lao Tzu's original.  And there is Fingers Pointing Towards the Moon, which is written in terse writing by a Brit who went by the pen name Wei Wu Wei (which translates to action through non-action, and is the central paradox addressed in the book Trying not to Try, and a paradox worth spending much time reflecting upon.)

As I was trying to clarify my terms, and see how much my understanding of daoism is an idiosyncratic reading, I came by this quote from from Encyclopedia Britannica online about the Dao:
Human beings, whose society and culture are marked by artifice and constraint, can hope only to attune themselves to its mysterious transformations but receive no special favour. 
A good life, including the pursuit of goals, needs to take into account this fact.