Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Basics Things to Think About in Backgammon

Here is one, and two, cheat-sheet style articles of things to think about in backgammon.  And while I'm gathering links, it might be fun to look back at some historically important matches.  Also good is a review of Chris Bray's Seminar: To Slot or Not to Slot?



I feel like studying Backgammon again.  At my current skill level, backgammon is still the most fun in terms of game-play.  Games move quickly, and each individual game takes a short amount of time.  
Go, on the other hand, is a spiritual exercise for me.  But then again, so is my work.  And so is gardening.  And even, with the right frame of mind, the chores around the house. So after a day of holding myself together to be a radiant in my good work, it is nice to have this game for its excitement.

I have taken to something quite odd, but really fun for me.  I set up a Backgammon board beside my computer, so I can play through the moves on it while playing the computer.  I had first thought of doing this with Go, when I one day get a board, but I realized the same principal could transfer.  One of the big reasons I bother my wife to play Backgammon so much with me is because it is an excuse to use real pieces.  I just love the click, click of the game.  And now I can have that as much as I want. Just in time for Winter Break.