Thursday, December 1, 2016

November Update

Body

I have gotten much better about exercising every day.  Again, mostly walking.  I hold the following conversion: a set of push-ups followed by 40 jumping jacks cancels out 15 minutes of walking.  To count as a day of exercise, I have to walk for an hour, or it's equivalent.

Mind

I altered my path in learning Spanish.  I have been using a version Iverson's word list method and learning 100 words a week in Spanish. I am going for systematic coverage because I know this will be a useful language for the rest of my life.  I don't think I recommend this to other people as a learning method, but I'm just being honest about what I am doing.  I really don't like not-knowing words that much.

I also got a bit side-tracked learning a bit of Mandrian Chinese.  It started as a way to help me with my studies of the Tao Te Ching, but grew to be very, very interesting.  With that said, I am done with beginner gains and felt the pull of intermediate hell, so by the end of the month I was able to shelf the book on Chinese characters for now.  More energy for writing and Spanish.

Podcasts and Videos Consumed

Shrinking the Technosphere KunstlerCast 282

Peak Moment
Food, Community and Our Place on Earth
Ecovillages — A Leading Edge for Sustainability