Saturday, August 2, 2014

Vindication of Heads Up Hold em as Strategy

I woke up and wasn't "feeling" the intensity of heads up hold em.  Instead, I opened limit Omaha, 2 tables of pot limit Omaha, and then one table of 9-handed hold em.

In 30 minutes, I only got to 60 hands of Omaha, and 24 of hold 'em.

The rate for heads up hold em is closer to 75 hands per half hour, and with the right opponent, who sticks around and plays quickly, it can get up closer to 100 hands.  In this case, I see the vast majority of flops, and there is few mathematical ways to push me out of a straight flush draw in limit 2-person game.

One things I have discovered  is I can play heads up while having an Omaha table open below.  That's about the max I can stack up.

Here's a picture of my screen  waiting for a heads up opponent:



I have the heads up waiting for an opponent, limit Omaha on the bottom, and over to the side I am playing a video of a Yale history lecture.


Then with the heads up going, I have the lecture turned off and have the remaining time to my session on the side.  This timer serves another purpose, however.  There are some plays that I want to randomize, like bluffs (against opponents who can make lay-downs) and calls (against opponents who are in the sweet spot of neither bluffing too much nor too little .  . . those are rare).

So, let's say I have decided I am going to bluff about 30% of the time. . . I look at the time and if the second hand is 1,2,or 3, well then I bet . . . even with air.

It all keeps me occupied and moving towards my goal.