Monday, July 28, 2014

The Royal Flush Odyssey Moves to Limit 5-Card draw.

Another game I have found that moves really quickly on Poker Stars play money is limit 5 card draw.  With only two rounds of betting, the hands just fly by. I'm tight and then usually bring in for a raise when I end up playing my hand, which unfortunately infuriates the people I play with.  I seem to have a fairly large edge in the game at 10/20 play money, which is not the case in heads up hold em.  It's nice to build up my stack and still get in a large number of hands.

The problem with 5 card draw is that a Royal Flush is much less likely, because I am using 5 cards to make a hand instead of the 7 cards you have to choose from in a Texas Hold em hand taken to the river.

So, I plan for my poker diet to consist mostly of 5-draw to build the bankroll and limit heads up to make a run at a Royal Flush.  However, if I get a Royal Flush in 5-draw, I'll certainly take that as well.

Also, both of these games play so fast that I can't really multi-task and play.  So I'll still probably open up a few micro-limit hold em tables and play them while listening to interesting audio content, like audio books and open university lectures.

It's a matter of finding the right things for right mood.

Frisky and want to play = 5-draw or heads-up.
Zombie = 3 micro-limit Hold 'em tables or 1 Omaha tables and 1-2 micro-limit Hold 'em.  Stack my time with interesting audio content so I don't feel like a total degenerate.  (When I'm frisky and want to play, I don't care if I am a degenerate).  

When the school year starts, almost any time I carve out to play will be in the zombie zone.  I can play heads up in zombie zone, but I found out last night that is not optimal, from a stand-point of fun.