Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Royal Flush Chronicles: Update

Sunday is family day for me.  I visiting my grandparents in the afternoon and eat dinner with my parents.

(It is also my "cheat day" on a diet, the day I take a long "luxury shower," (as opposed to a modified navy shower) and the day do weight training --it's a very busy day considering I do nothing productive for my job on it).

Anyway, I found a way to keep my poker-playing going: Chinese poker (original closed style). I played it one-on-one with my grandmother, and then four-handed with my parents and wife after dinner.

The game is great to get reluctant family members to play because there is no betting rounds/bluffing involved.  Also, with 13 cards to draw from the best hand you can make moves up.

My grandmother got a straight flush the very first hand of Chinese poker we played.  (Unfortunately, because of this she got confused about how to make normal straights, thinking they always needed to be suited and in order).

Also, my dad got a straight flush to the king in our evening game.  Ah, I was so jealous.