Saturday, August 16, 2014

ADCR Doesn't Work for Me

I have been doing alternate day calorie restriction, and while I have been losing weight still, I just can't keep doing it, at least not the way I have been.  What I refuse to do is quietly re-gain the weight.  I must find something that works and allows me to keep losing.

I have noticed that lunch goes fine with the ADCR diet.  I can satisfy hunger pangs with a really low calorie meal.  It's dinner that gives me the problem.  After a super-light dinner I find myself with very low energy in the evening and then an inability to think about anything other than food.  With the school year in swing, I need those productive hours.

It all came to a head when my wife noticed I could barely focus on what she was saying.  She said, really insisted, I needed to eat.  So, I broke my rules and ate a sandwich.  I hate breaking rules, but I think system needs to be changed, at least for me.

One diet that has worked for me is restricting my calories  to under 1,200 a day 6-days a week and then having Sunday as a "free day."  I lost 12.5 pounds in 3 months that way.  I lost at a quicker rate with the Slow Carb diet, but it just doesn't fit my life right now.

Also I observed that the calorie restriction diet went fine for the most part, but created extreme cravings in my 4th month.  That is something I will have to watch out for later on.

So here's what I've been doing for about a week:

I am eating really light lunches, very similar to those I had when I was trying ADCR, which, with skipping breakfast, would mean I would go 24 hour periods (dinner to dinner) on something like 200-300 calories. The extra hundred calories will be consumed at 4:00 pm in the form of extra light tasting olive oil, as proscribe by the Shangri-La Diet.  This leaves me up to 900 calories to eat at dinner.  All I have to do is not go insane, and I can meet that.  I let myself eat any type of food, and I often opt for something light and supplement it with a cheese sandwich with mustard on it.

Here are my morning weigh-ins since I hit the milestone of breaking 190 pounds:

8/3    189.2  (Sunday free day!)
8/4    191.9
8/5    194.1
8/6    189.2
8/7    190.1  (gave up on ADRC)
8/8    189.2
8/9    192
8/10  190.6   (Sunday free day!)
8/11  193.3
8/12  191.8
8/13  190.1
8/14  188.2
8/15  187.4
8/16  187.2

So, this every day restricted calorie diet seems to be a solid way to go.  I made the point to my wife that the Slow Carb diet and ADRC might have trained my body to start using fat more, and I know for a fact that ADRC helped me to develop the patience to deal with mild hunger, so I am in no way writing this post to disparage those diets.  They just weren't systems I could use during the long-haul of a school year.