Thursday, August 14, 2014

Procrastination Chronicles #1: Weed Eater

To attempt to be poetic:

On the path to greatness, there will be 100 overcomings.

I will chronicle my attempts to overcome procrastination.  My technique is to start small, really small.

==================




Why have I not weed-eated (weed-ate?) any portion of the lawn all summer?  Is it a moral failing that means I will never, ever *really* be an adult?  Only a few years ago, I would have looked at it that way.  And that's a darn shame.



In reality, the first problem is that I had the wrong tool.  For some reason, in one of the rare occasions I have ever talked to a sales clerk, I was convinced to buy an extremely heavy brush weed-eater.  I used it a few times last summer, and it is just pure torture.  I would hurt for days afterward.


I thought about it for a while, and bought a more light-weight weed-eater.  Which ended up sitting in its box for a week.

A few of the days it rained, but ultimately the reason I waited was a small bit of trepidation about looking though new stuff and putting it together.  At some point I realize this wait was becoming some serious procrastination, so I went my favorite tool: the to-do list.

item one: open the box
item two: work 3 minutes to see if you can understand the wires, etc. 

The result?  In 2 minutes and 30 seconds I had the battery plugged in an decent notion of where everything should go.  Now that the project is started, I can be up and weed-eating in the cool of the evening or tomorrow morning.



And perhaps never again (or at least not for years) will I let our lawn areas look so unruly.  (Whether or not someone should even have a lawn is another question, one my wife, alas, has answered in the affirmative).