Friday, July 25, 2014

Strategy for Goals

I recently added "get a royal flush" to my bucket list because that's all I've been working on the last two weeks, or so it would seem . . . Okay, really, that's mostly true.

But playing poker for free allows me to continue my cheapskate ways, thus helping me with goal #2, paying off the house.  When I run the numbers, we can pay off the house in 3 years without some unplanned trouble, 4-5 years even with a mild run of bad luck. 

Also playing cards is something to do when I am recovering from an intense weight workout, which is my current strategy for tackling my body-fat and working toward 100 push-ups.  So even though I've been a lazy bum, I've been working on that. 

What's next?  Well, the school year is starting, so I'll be able to put in work toward my coaching goals, and it will be embedded in my day-to-day.  

Besides that, I several large areas to work on to get my bigger goals:
1.) a large following for good content (gardening and time management)
2.) programming skills
3.) mechanical/building skills

These 3 things seems doable, and it's just a question of what I am focusing on at any given time.  I'll probably work in roughly that order.  Also, I have nine years before I'm 40, so I could spend (approximately) 3 years on each of these goals.  Building an audience has a kind of "compound" effect, as word of mouth spreads.  So I should emphasize working on that sooner than the mechanical skills.  For example, I could wait 6 years and still be able to build a windmill, and an aquaponics system.  However, if I waited 6 years to start helping 100,000 people, I'd have to have something like super-quick viral growth.  As it is, I can imagine quite slower ways to end up helping 100,000 people or 200,000 people (in case there is no overlap between the people I help with gardening and time management).  

There are some "dangling" goals for me address.  The extra streams of income can be achieved through intelligent use of my extra income after we pay off the house.  My "corporation" will probably either be a sustainability related charity or folding some real estate up into a corporation for better management. 

And, lastly, going to New York is the kind of problem you can just throw money at and it will happen  . . . one day.