Saturday, July 26, 2014

Bucket List as Brag List

I think most people's bucket list, mine included, is a list of things you can impress people with.  I tried to off-set this with some huge goals in terms of helping others. But, still, I'm trying to living an impressive life, even if it is just impressive to myself.

In all honesty, being able to say you've had a royal flush probably serves in this bragging purpose just as well learning a lesser-used language (especially in a country where everyone learns English) like Dutch, Danish, or Norwegian.

If I tell someone I've had a royal flush, they'll say, "oh, cool."  And if I say, "I spent 2-5 years learning Dutch" they'll say "oh, cool."  And they might then say "okay, say something in Dutch."  After I do so, they would say, "oh, cool."  And that'd be the end of it.