Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Why I Write

Purpose 1. To Share What is Important


One of my biggest motivations to write is to make some pieces to help others gain some mastery over life -- even better, mastery over skills that help them be in the service of the situations the world presents.  And I believe those skills should be freely given, as a gift.

I believe all of this is tied to spirituality, or at least wisdom.  Either these terms are in practice the same thing or most people need spirituality to move along the path of wisdom.

I have moved down a path, going from early retirement (Extreme) and Mark Boyle's Moneyless Manifesto, to Daniel Suelo, and then through Suelo, I was introduced to Peace Pilgrim.  Each step along the way, I see more clearly the need for spirit, and how money really is its antithesis.

That wording about "service of the situation" comes from the writings of Peace Pilgrim:

Q: How can I begin to really live life?A: I began to really live life when I began to look at every situation and think about how I could be of service in that situation. I learned that I should not be pushy about helping, but just willing. Often I could give a helping hand - or perhaps a loving smile or a word of cheer. I learned it is through giving that we receive the worthwhile things of life.
I can find no truer words for dealing with the day to day of life.  Peace Pilgrim also shows me why my most important writings, the best gifts I can give, must remain free:

Q: Why don't you accept money? Because I talk about spiritual truth, and spiritual truth should never be sold - those who sell it injure themselves spiritually. . . Those who attempt to buy spiritual truth are trying to get it before they are ready. In this wonderfully well-ordered universe, when they are ready, it will be given.

Maybe I do prefer the term "wisdom."  If you are seen loving wisdom enough, perhaps you can be seen as a philosopher.  

So I'll re-write that passage, changing it for my message: 

Q:Why do you think all wisdom writing should be free?  Because I talk of wisdom and the good life, and these things should never be sold -- those who sell them injure their own wisdom and ability to live the good life. . . Those who attempt to buy the wise, good life are trying to get it before they are ready.  In this wonderfully well-ordered universe, when they are ready, it will be given they will notice it was already around them.
The good life is around us, and is always available for the right price: free.  When you have it, pay it forward.

Purpose 2. To Record My Life


I also write to leave a legacy of who I was.  The process of writing my memoirs starts now, as does a more accurate job of journaling.   My memories will be preserved better for having them written, as I have seen through the example of my wife's discipline of writing a sentence a day in a journal. If I can make one treasure for a family member, then it worth many hours of time (and even a few dollars of money for paper). 

Also, by giving shape to my memories, writing is an activity that will add more life to my years, which is probably more important than our cultural obsession with adding years to life, quality be damned.


3. To Have a Craft



I believe that life is best when we can get into some kind of flow, much like the concept of Zen in the art of _____.   (And I do recommend Bradbury's Zen in the Art of Writing

Writing, especially on paper, is one of the very best activities I have discovered for leaving myself open and responsive to the world.  Other things I have tried to make my main hobby have left me obsessed and withdrawn.  Writing connects me to others.  

And better yet that connect is a my best self, born out of more than one draft.