Sunday, June 5, 2016

Internet Fast Completed

It was only a week, but I think it was good enough.  Toward the end of the school year, I was on a loop with the kind of "itch scratching" websites that it seems most people use to run out the clock -- news, reddit, espn, the like.

A guest on a Tim Ferris podcast once said something like "I realized I was getting a bunch of little dopamine hits, but I wasn't learning anything."

Life is better with real projects to work on, my favorite have actions in the real, physical world.  With those projects, however, it is easy to get exhausted, and so then the rest feels better, often with interesting intellectual sidelines to be working on.  Those truly interesting sidelines are not be found in the little bites of popular internet sites, but still in book-length material.

And that's what I got back in touch with during this internet fast:  big projects, good books (ie good art).