Saturday, April 25, 2015

Slow Carb is Dead, Long Live the Diet

180.6

I'm off the slow carb diet.  At least the way I was doing it, it made me too spacey and cranky (bad combination).  I suppose I should have ate a lot more beans, and probably should have tried to re-experiment with fasting until 3:30.  Life and learn.

Two other factors: 1.) slow carb caused some friction with my wife about the places we could eat and what I could make for dinner and 2.) I have grown to hate most meats at most restaurants, so there was a gross out factor that kept plaguing me these last two weeks.  Trying to figure out what and where to eat with a brain not working right and getting increasingly frustrated with

I have in the past lost a lot of weight under the slow-carb rules, and so that was why I wanted to to do it again, but I have also lost weight simply going 6 days a week on 1,300 calories, and then a free day.  My numbers show the slow-carb diet was faster at getting weight loss, but quality of life has to play into this decision as well.

I really want to crack 177.  This is the weight at which I would usually start diets in college.  Several times that weight became my "wake up call."  When I weighed 200 pounds, I thought with sadness how long it would take to even get back to that number.  I think it would be great -- very motivating -- to be below that number again.   That's why I was willing to slow carb again, and even deal with a little pain.  But it was getting ridiculous, and I can't afford to be mean as a teacher or husband.