Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Dvorak Countdown

Today being my reverse Sabbath day, I had to see if Dvorak was on my computer already, something I had been avoiding because of a vague dread that somehow all the websites were wrong and my computer somehow uniquely did not have it.  It's not something I stopped and thought about; it just flitting in and then out of my mind, as do so many of blocks that cause us to procrastinate -- many, many are just phantoms of the mind.

Well, it's there.




I have been doing lessons on this site, focusing just on the home row (which accounts for 70% of all the strokes I'll be making in the system).  On the first day of the summer, I am making the switch . . . total cold turkey at that point.  

Cold turkey is going to be necessary because now that I am over the initial feeling of terrible discomfort (something that really only lasted 30 minutes), I am on to a type of intermediate hell where it's not what I'm learning that is the problem, but instead my old habits.  Since I am doing so much of my typing in regular 'ol qwerty, I keep retrenching where the "s" and "d" keys are in qwerty. I can tell that a very large part of my mastery of Dvorak will be un-learning those key keys (and key key combinations).  Also, I will just have practice, practice, practice until the new keys become a matter of muscle memory.  

This step is perhaps the most important in developing compassion.  After all, this step means that intellectually know what you should be doing, but your old habits keep zapping you.  So, let's take the case of a young person trying to be responsible, or even ethical.  Just because they "know better" really isn't enough.  I need to give someone trying at least as long as it takes me to get my key strokes right on this new typing system.  

And probably longer.