Monday, August 10, 2015

How I Work Out Every Day

I am experimenting with working out every day.  This is probably a duh moment for most regular exercisers, but it is easier to form the exercise habit if it is every day.  I find myself also increasingly moving in the direction of running -- what seems to me, anecdotally, to be the exercise most able to get every day adherence.

For now here's what I currently do:

Strength A -- concentration curl, hanging leg raises, static holds to engage pecs
HIT training -- a Tabata set, mostly of jumping jacks, but some side jumps and grapevines
Strength B -- tricep kickback, one-hand planks, kettlebell swings. bridging
HIT training again, or a barefoot run in the greenbelt behind my house

And it goes in a cycle something like this.  I try to never repeat the same type of exercise two days in a row.  In two weeks, I will change the set of strength exercises I do, staying with them for 8 weeks, then changing again, all to prevent over training.

For strength training, I will go back to 15 minute blocks of Escalating Density Training, pairing antagonistic groups.

15 minute PR zone
hanging leg raises
bridges

rest 15

23 minute PR zone
push-ups
bench rows (with towel to make "fat bar")

The workout schedule, starting in two weeks:

M    run (or yoga, if fried or the outside sucks)
T     HIT
W    run (or yoga, if fried or the outside sucks)
Th   HIT
F       lift weights
Sat    run (or yoga, if fried or the outside sucks)
Sun   HIT


The running is for the joy of it.  I checked out the book ChiRunning from the library and am going to work on, noting similarities and differences between it and the Pose method.  It seems that the mechanics of running can work to lower injuries.  Also, since I have a bit of a diversified portfolio of exercises here, I think I minimize injury.