Monday, August 31, 2015

Into a Holding Pattern

I am more and more noticing a trade-off between a) spending my time doing awesome stuff . . . and b.) spending the time writing about awesome stuff.  I'd rather use the time to get more awesome stuff done.  Therefore, less writing for a while.

My plan is limit this blog to monthly updates for a while -- perhaps 12 months, perhaps indefinitely.

The house should be paid off in 5-6 months.  After that point, I can start thinking about how one would define intermediate wood working skills, how to make a windmill, and things of that sort.

I have already proven that I can write a post every week.  Now, I going to shift my focus to see what I can do this year.

Update

Shortly after writing this I saw this really good piece on not blogging.  It makes a good case for the value of an essay, and how that helps you clarify your thoughts.  But an essay is really not the same thing as blogging about what you are doing, or, still worse, writing ad copy.  An essay is a humble attempt, but one a real attempt. at understanding a topic (which means it is thoughtful (which means it should take time)).

In addition to my monthly updates on goal progress, I will continue to think a lot, especially on beautiful walks, and write down my best thoughts, and questions, in my note books.  During the summer, I may have the motivation to write to make clarify a stance on of the puzzles in my mind, which get revealed and preserved in my notebook.  I will cut down on the quantity of my output and look instead at quality, particularly focusing on pieces only I can write, such as on my life and my father and grandfather.