Saturday, November 29, 2014

Fitting Pieces Together

To make it so I can do squats and push ups every day, I now have an alternating pattern going on my sets:

Day A: current reps of Squats + 1/2  current reps of push ups
Day B: 1/2 reps of squats + current reps of push ups
Then repeat.

I plan to keep this going 5 days a week and then rest on the weekend.  The theory behind greasing the groove is that you are getting a lot of practice in, which trains the nervous system to be more efficient in doing a specific motion and/or lift.  So, I should stay in practice.  If I'm not doing that, then I am going through a hyper-trophy protocol, and doing a bad job of even that.

This also fits together quite nicely, because I can do this every hour.  So I can work my time-boxing this way: I can do creative (ie sit on my butt) work for 25 minutes, then do something physical (like cleaning something, or a garden chore) then do 25 more minutes of creative/butt work, and do my grease the groove discipline.

I get in the exercise and chores I need to do and feel refreshed for creative work.